Jobs and Internships
Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to work for Create Streets, even when we are not advertising, or check out the roles below. Please send your CV, covering letter and relevant portfolio work to David Milner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: Community-led Planner & Project Coordinator
Location: Oval, London
Salary: London Living Wage
Creates Streets is a social enterprise that encourages the creation of more urban homes in conventional, terraced streets rather than complex multi-storey buildings. We do this through research, arguing for policy change, and consulting to councils and landowners. According to Sir Simon Jenkins, former Chair of the National Trust, ‘Create Streets speaks London’s language.’ Our core argument is that more conventional development;
- is more popular, thus reducing resistance to new development;
- is provably better correlated with good wellbeing outcomes;
- can easily provide the density we need to solve the housing crisis; and
- is a better long-term investment.
Create Streets has published a number of books, major reports and a range of shorter essays. These have achieved a real impact on opinion formers and on government, London and opposition policies.
Our research has also generated significant media coverage including, to name but a few, The Times, The Guardian, London’s Evening Standard, The Independent, Financial Times, The Daily Telegraph, The New York Times, The New Statesman, Private Eye, the Architects’ Journal, Building Design and coverage on BBC News and ITN News.
Our patrons include Ben Page, Yolande Barnes and Alain de Botton.
We are looking for outstanding candidates to join Create Streets’ internship programme. The role is suited to ambitious individuals looking to gain experience in and contribute to the housing and place-making debate in Britain and internationally. If successful, you would work closely with members of Create Streets’ team to draft neighbourhood plans, develop our research, manage events and projects with community groups, councils, landowners, officials and industry leaders as well as helping provide administrative support to the organisation. You should ideally have:
- A degree at 2.1 or above
- Prior experience or education in town planning
- Knowledge or experience of neighbourhood planning
- An interest in and awareness of the politics of housing, planning policy or the built environment
- An affinity with Create Streets’ mission and values
Extra points for:
- A desire to get stuck in, learn quickly and take ownership of projects
- A detailed understanding of planning policy, town planning and/or built environment analytics
- Experience with QGIS, R or SPSS, AutoCad, SQL, InDesign
Commitment: 6 months full/part-time (we can be flexible!), based in Oval, South London.
Please submit this along with a CV, covering letter and any relevant portfolio work to:
By submitting your application, you are providing Create Streets with your full consent to process, manage and retain your personal information for the purpose of considering you for potential employment.